Thursday, March 27, 2014

The Light at the End of the Tunnel


I wake early to a dream – about the Holocaust of course. I need to find out what is happening to Joshua, it’s killing me. I couldn’t see how someone as cute as Dalia could die like that for no reason. Joshua had to find a cure. He had to love her enough. He just has too…

 

March 19TH, 1942

 

I have been far too busy to write for the past few days. But is it ever really all that different? All of this, with the work and deprivation and dying (Adina’s mother died of typhus the other day, and one of the children in our room was shot mercilessly and hung in the streets for all to see: don’t cause trouble, we are the authority, and the kid knew that and still got shot).

Yet, I can’t do this anymore. There is something to write. Dalia.

I can’t keep pretending that she’s not getting worse. She coughs (her coughs are frightening, I swear she might cough the insides of her lungs out) up rusty colored sputum and now speaks no more than a whisper if she’s lucky. She is also extremely thin in spite of her loss of appetite and her immune system’s effort to rid the illness. She has lost the bright look in her brilliant blue eyes; which are now a shady gray. Her hair is also a rusty color and I can see her ribcage through her shirt. And she looks at me with the saddest, thinnest face…

They are taking more people away now. In cattle cars. There are few of us left now. They also seem to be sorting the weak from the strong. I might make it to the stronger half, but Dalia wouldn’t stand a chance.

I knew that there was penicillin, which is what the antibiotic was made of, out there somewhere, the Germans must have hoarded it all for our army and left us nothing. I had to find her the cure even if it meant my life.

I leave for my job early, not wanting to see Dalia’s sad face looking up at me, making me remember her former happy self. I am walking down the street when I run into Adina. The space under her eyes is a deep purple from grieving.

“Hey,” I say to her. There isn’t much to say.

“Hi,” she replies, quietly, “I… heard about your sister.”

“Yeah…” my eyes fill with tears and I blink them away, “The doctor says a week at the most. I only wish we could find the cure. If only Hippocrates, who first observed pneumonia’s symptoms, and Edwin Klebs, who first observed the bacteria in corpses, had looked into pneumonia more and faster so that they could find have found a cure faster… maybe pneumonia wouldn’t have been as common as it is now and she wouldn’t have it.”

Adina seems to be thinking hard, “Joshua, I need to tell you something… and it’s something you might like… or not. I don’t know.”

Where on Earth did this come from? “Okay… what is…”

She cuts me off and drags me down an alley. It’s a good thing I left for work early because if we were going to talk, this might take a while.

“Okay… so look… I’m dating… a German soldier.”

I widen my eyes, “Adina, what the hell???!!!!” I shout. She clasps her hand over my mouth.

“Look, you need to shut up about this, okay? Friedrich… the German soldier, we would get into a lot of trouble if this got out… You are pretty lucky for me to tell you this because I made a promise and I’m doing you a huge favor.”

“How in the world would knowledge of your love life help Dalia?” I ask, clearly angered.

She isn’t offended, just impatient, “Are you, like, stupid? How do you not see it? Friedrich is a Nazi, therefore he has access to Nazi technology, which, at this point would include penicillin. And since I care about you, and he cares about me, he could probably get it in a couple of days, though it wouldn’t be easy.”

The puzzle pieces all fit together now. This might work… it had to.

“So talk to you then,” she says hastily and then leaves me in the gray alley. It is very cold and I shiver under my thin layer of clothes. A few flakes fall to the ground and soon a whole layer covers the frost-bitten ground. Slowly, I make my way to work through the deteriorating street.

I have a quiz you can take if you want here. All of this information has been put in this blog, but some questions are tricky....

Pneumonia

  1. Pneumonia is...

  2. an inflammation of the air sacs of the lungs
    a form of cancer
    something you cannot die from
    None of the above

  3. If you have pneumonia, you will experience...

  4. blood loss
    seizures
    ringing in the ears
    abdominal and chest pain

  5. An example of pneumonia diagnosis is...

  6. a written exam
    a random set of questions asked by your doctor
    colonoscopy
    urine test

  7. Who first observed the pneumonococcol bacteria?

  8. Hippocrates
    It wasn't a bacteria, it was a virus
    Edwin Klebs
    Miley Cyrus

  9. Who is more at risk of pneumonia?

  10. a teenager
    a person who lives in crowded places
    a person who goes out jogging a lot in the winter time
    a hobo

  11. You can easily prevent pneumonia by...

  12. washing your hands often
    including francium in your diet
    reducing stress levels
    not having been breastfed at a young age

  13. Pneumonia is TREATED with...

  14. a shot in your arm
    depends on what it is caused by
    a hot water bottle
    there is no known treatment

  15. Often, the aftermath of having the disease in a first world country is...

  16. you die
    you live with it for the rest of your life
    you'll always have scarred lung tissues
    you continue on with your normal everyday activities and feel completely healthy again

 

No comments:

Post a Comment